Monday 25 June 2012

Why can't we all just get along?!


Two teens made a suicide pact and jumped off the nearby escarpment last week.  They were the 4th and 5th in the past month in my community alone.  The stories of bullying continue and get worse and worse.  "Picking on" a kid is what went on when I was younger.  I can't imagine how difficult is must be theses days to be a target - my heart breaks for these kids.  I want to wrap my arms around each and every one of them and somehow get the message though that their lives have worth no matter what the circumstances.  That they can withstand the meanness and be strong.  That their inner spirit can never be broken if they can just reach inside themselves to sense it.  That there are people to talk to, to listen, to help.  To be their own best friends and take back their power.  To realise the bully is deflecting their pain and anger onto others and needs help.  To somehow connect with the strongest part inside of them so they can find the courage, tenacity and wisdom to hang on and stand up for themselves, for their lives. 

The video of the bus monitor being relentlessly bullied sent me over the edge - what is going on?!  Do teens not understand human kindness and respect anymore?  Can they not live and let live? 

I'm compelled to help, ...just not sure how.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment